If “To tweet or not to tweet” is the question, I bet this article will help you find your answer!
In simple English, the word “value” is defined as utility, worth, excellence or desirability. Therefore, any object, topic or medium which captures the essence of those meanings is described as valuable. Taking things a step further by referring to human psychology, value is anything that gives us power and allows us to feel stronger, more lovable or maybe just more recognizable for who we are and what we represent or do.
But the value of value doesn’t end here!
Marketers have developed a more precise meaning of value defining it as: “the relationship between the consumer’s expectations of product/service quality to the actual amount paid for it”; the amount paid is not exclusive to money, it could also be time and effort spent acquiring or using a certain product/service. Moreover, anthropologists see value through the eyes of the societies or communities by stating that: “the concept of value is a social construct, and as such is defined by the culture using the concept”.
Now, delving further in the realm of micro-blogging, and specifically the “Twitter” phenomenon, what is the real value of this social construct? What makes “the act to tweet” a delicious treat?
After my comprehensive research on this subject, and despite the stubborn stands against “tweeting” claiming it’s a waste of time and breach of privacy, it seems that Twitter does provide value to its users!
The top 10 value-driven reasons to use Twitter are:
- The marketing coup: Through consistent use, thousands of individuals and companies are utilizing Twitter to increase Web traffic, or to perpetuate a brand.
- Using Twitter, as opposed to E-mail, Blogs and Instant messaging, provides the value of fast and compact communication. If used correctly, Twitter is an attractive tool for sharing relevant content quickly with interested users.
- Twitter holds a high value to corporations. It helps them learn new things from their audience and in turn teach their target about their services/products; thus promoting collective intelligence.
- Twitter proves to be a very good way to connect with current friends and meet new ones in an engaging environment. Furthermore, Twitter provides its followers with the luxury of “venting” to friends about feelings, likes, dislikes, interests and so on.
- Twitter is everywhere! It has solved the problem of staying in touch when you’re not physically bound to your computer! Through Twitter, you can keep up with the buzz even when youíre on the move, with text or IM.
- Twitter can help people become better writers. How? Well, eventually, Twitter users are forced to be concise, exercise their vocabulary and improve their editing skills!
- Twitter cares about its developers! By opening an API, Twitter allows the information stored on its servers to be accessible by others, thus allowing developers to create applications that can make the Twitter experience simple/more fun.
- Twitter gives its users real-time large scale interaction unmatched by any other service available.
- Twitter is an addiction: it brings its followers the true social meaning of value; Microfame! By providing the psychological comfort of allowing them to quickly form an entourage, Twitter gives followers the feeling that they are important and do belong to a community or a crowd they seek to be a part of.
- Finally, Twitter keeps you up to date with the hottest topics through Twitscoop.
For now, my answer is: To tweet! What is yours? I’m waiting for your comments down below! :)