Did Your Twitter Tweet Count Suddenly Drop? Twitter Bug?

I was chatting earlier on with Beirut (@beiruta) and she was complaining that her Twitter profile shows that she has only tweeted 850 updates, while just a few days ago it was showing more than 5000 tweets. Using Google’s cached results, I confirmed that, and by that time, Beirut had a few more people complaining about the same issue.

The Twitter Number of Updates Bug - comparing current vs. Google cached profiles

So far, comparing cached Google results versus current results, the following Twitter users replied to @beiruta’s inquiry and are facing the same issue at the time of writing:

1. @arleigh, dropped 21,000 tweets from a cached count (13 Aug 2009 02:38:44 GMT) of 21,819 to 1,090 tweets!
  2. @MoGeezie, had an outstanding 15,894 tweets via cached results (10 Aug 2009 10:01:52 GMT) and now showing only 3,824 tweets – a drop of 12,000 tweets!
  3. @beiruta, Beirut A.H., now showing 850 updates, while a Google cache page dated “10 Aug 2009 23:43:01 GMT” shows 5,662 tweets. A 4,812 drop.
  4. @togetherwf, Susan Smith, dropped 4,358 tweets from 4,744 tweets showing via Google cache (13 Aug 2009 03:19:08 GMT) to 386 currently showing.
  5. @memachel, Michelle Brooks, is now displaying with a count of 10,880 tweets, while the cached copy (12 Aug 2009 04:42:53 GMT) has her at 11,473 – a drop of 593 tweets.
  6. @wallybock, Wally Bock, now showing 6,322 updates, while the cached page on “13 Aug 2009 18:07:02 GMT” shows 6,721. Dropping 399 tweets.

So far @arleigh seems to have the biggest *proven* drop at 21k! Did your tweet count drop?

Is this yet another Twitter bug, just like the tweeting up to 250 characters bug?

I asked Beirut (@beiruta) why that drop made her frown, and she replied…

Beirut’s response…

Let me tell you why I think this sucks!

I’ve been a Twitter user for almost 6 months now, working hard, every single day and even on vacations, to create and share valuable, “retweetable” tweets and status updates for all my followers to enjoy and benefit from. When I suddenly found out that the number of my status updates fell dramatically with no reason, prior notice or even an apology, here is what crossed my mind:

• Twitter is one of the most popular social media sites; how could such a supposedly well-maintained site allow for such a mistake? I mean seriously, I feel that all the effort I made all those months has vanished through thin air!
  • Many people would not want to follow me now: I am losing the possibility of people adding me, as we speak, due to this mistake that shouldn’t have happened in the beginning! Who will get those people for me again? Those who will think I am inactive and would not want to add me? Will Twitter make it up for me? I highly doubt it!
  • Many tweeps will probably unfollow me as well! I, myself, use Tweepi.com to unfollow inactive users and now I seem to be one of them unfairly! If someone decides to look over my profile or the number of my tweets, they will be disappointed to find them relatively low as compared to the number of my followers and those I’m following!
  • Is it true that free is always not good enough? I mean we all know that Twitter is a free service, does that mean we have to suffer? Aren’t they profiting from our free usage anyways? We, the people using Twitter, are who made it what it is. Is this how we are repaid? Do I have to go to the blog to find out that the updates are not lost, as they claim?

Finally, I think corrective measure should be taken and they should be taken now! In Twitter I trust (or maybe not so anymore!)

Finally, did your tweet count drop?

If your number of updates count dropped too, sign your name below and how much you dropped, maybe Twitter will notice and fix it ASAP!

Updated with screen shots of the Google cached pages – as Google cache gets updated continuously.

Comments and Reactions

88 responses to “Did Your Twitter Tweet Count Suddenly Drop? Twitter Bug?”

1. Beiruta says:

I want my tweets back and I want them now!

2. I lost about 2,000 updates sometime in the past week. The only reason I noticed is because I happened to see I was coming up on 20,000 tweets and it seemed like a significant number. That said, I’m not nearly as upset as others, but I would like to see some communication and consistency by the Twitter folks. Still, I have a hard time complaining about a free service. I certainly don’t want to have to pay for it! So I hope things like this can be addressed as constructive criticism to encourage Twitter to continually improve what is already an outstanding tool.

3. Anu2008 says:

Hello, I noticed that I lost about 200 tweets on Aug 10th 9:46 AM EEST.

4. Beiruta says:

I totally agree with you: there should be a more constructive communication stream with Twitter… And yes, it is a free service which benefits greatly from us in return so as long as there is mutual benefit involved, there should be faster corrective action :)

I hope you get your tweets back soon…

5. Neetish says:

the tweets really ARE gone.. there’s this one guy, @amanisfly, who just has 61 tweets left now, and I looked up his older tweets, and yep they are gone.

6. Beiruta says:

Thanks for sharing this bad Twitter experience with us! We totally appreciate your feedback and hope that our voices will be heard and that our tweets are safe like they should be!

7. Beiruta says:

Are you sure our tweets are lost for good? I had more than 5,000! Twitter claims they are all there!

8. The good news for me personally is that as of about a week ago I have a database that is recording/backing up all my tweeted links for me (http://www.bkmacdaddy.com/links) Obviously this doesn’t show up in my update count on Twitter, but it keeps the records and resources for me.

9. Amer Kawar says:

This is big! If they are really gone, that means Twitter’s backend is failing. I hope they have backups of the tweets lost!

10. Beiruta says:

Lucky you! I wish I had known Twitter would fail me! I would have done something similar! :(

11. Alan says:

I lost about 1150 tweets, and now I’m down to just under 150 tweets! I’m irritated because it now looks like I have only been using twitter for 2 weeks, whereas out of my friends I was the first to start using it, and now I look like I’ve just joined the party! So annoying… I want to know why this happened and for it to be corrected. Grr.

12. Anu2008 says:

How many tweets did he have before? I think he had more than me… I was supposed to have over 4000 but then I suddenly realized I had only 3831…

13. Neetish says:

have no idea, ask him, probably must’ve been tens of thousands though, with all those links. and yup i’m sure they’re gone.. unless twitter has them stored somewhere else

14. Neetish says:

well, atleast everybody knows lots of tweets have been missing, so you won’t have to worry much about your reputation

15. Anu2008 says:

They have to have some place where the lost tweets go… They can’t just disappear like that!

16. Anu2008 says:

Hmm but why are they not showing up??

17. Amer Kawar says:

Well, @chiniehdiaz seems to have the highest number of lost tweets – 29,048 lost. Here is a screenshot of the Google Cache (http://bit.ly/16ePUD) of her profile: http://twitpic.com/e4vvz

Here profile ( http://twitter.com/chiniehdiaz ) currently shows just above 3000 tweets.

Anyone lost even more than 29k?

18. M.Bamieh says:

Well not gonna say i lost my tweets, but i’ll say this. Remember how twitter was hacked last week maybe they placed a time bomb to do this and while twitter was trying to secure that hole they ignored the time bomb and thats the effect of it!
    either way being a free service they still don’t have a mature profit model, hell facebook is struggling to find one. so i wouldn’t blame them much but i guess for things like this its good to have a friendfeed that acts as a back up plus there are a bunch of other service dedicated for back up, like lifestream backup so take advantage of them.

19. Anonymous says:

Mine dropped by over 2500 tweets this week… Not sure what happening
    @tommytrc

20. Beiruta says:

I’m sorry to hear that… I lost around 5,000 tweets so I know what you might be feeling right now! Twitter needs to take corrective methods and also find a way to reimburse its loyal users!

21. Anonymous says:

wow this is amazing you are very intellegent for knowing how to found out this info

22. Beiruta says:

I agree with you, Twitter is free and might not have a mature profit model but that doesn’t make it “alright” to mess with user accounts haphazardly and not even apologize to them in return! I have been angry all day especially now that I have doubts about my valuable RTs being recovered!

23. Beiruta says:

We are humbled by your compliment… The one who found out all this is @Amerkawar after I told him how my tweet count dropped dramatically! He was able to find previous data to prove my point because we think of this matter as serious and we want people to know what they might be dealing with… Hopefully, Twitter will respond!

24. Beiruta says:

Thanks for the info… But let me tell you something, whether someone lost 200 tweets or 29k tweets, it’s all the same in the end: effort and time we invested that went to total waste!

25. Beiruta says:

I don’t think Alan is really worried about his reputation as opposed to the soul he has put in his tweets for any given amount of time and then one day: poof! All gone!

26. Greg Pincus says:

While this won’t help with the actual count, this recent article on Read Write Web about backing up your tweets seems worth posting here:

I hope the counters get reset for all.

27. Beiruta says:

Thank you so much for the future tips.. I’ll make sure to keep it in mind in case twitter decides to “miscount” my tweets again :)

Fingers crossed to all of us!

28. FadiPick says:

wow! 29k tweet lost (@chinidiaz)! That is a fortune! :S #tweetloss

29. FadiPick says:

This is serious guys, let us start #tweetloss trend so that Twitter officials listen to us. We want our tweets back!

30. Beiruta says:

#tweetloss I like it! Do you think it would work though? Or will Twitter just ignore us because they can?!

31. Neetish says:

well i don’t think i would ever go back and read my old tweets, dunno even if i’ve lost any. they were already buried deep in time, under thousands of other tweets, we’re only noticing them now that they are gone..

32. M.Bamieh says:

I felt bad for twitter so i checked in on their support and lo and behold they have been on it since 8/11
    here is the link
    twitter support: Tweet count is much smaller than it should be
    And there are a whole bunch of people over there so just leave ur details in the comments section for them to work on recovering it … based on that i think my theory might be true and it was a planted time bomb :)

33. Beiruta says:

I saw that section as well but as I said before, it is like they are drugging us with Valium, sedating us so we won't rebel! #tweetloss should be fixed very soon since we expect so much more of our beloved Twitter, in which we trust!

34. I lost a couple of hundred tweets, but still have plenty left ;-)

35. cHaRMaiNe says:

I lost my 2000+ tweets, I noticed it on Aug 11…so disappointing & I thought I'm the only one experiencing it but it turns out many people have this problem. I hope we'll recover it soon everyone! Thanks @beiruta :D

36. Beiruta says:

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as many of us here! I hope you get them back… You might like to help us make #tweetloss a trending topic, maybe fast corrective actions will be taken!

37. Beiruta says:

I am so sorry for your loss! Let's try to make #tweetloss a trending topic maybe Twitter will fix this problem faster or at least apologize for the inconvenience it caused many of us!

38. Steve Rumsby says:

Me too. I've dropped from about 2500 to 140. I just noticed this morning, but it happened sometime in the last week. Can't be sure exactly when…

39. I think I have too few tweets for this problem.

40. […] that wasn’t the case this time but we still had an angry mob of tweeps demanding their pound of flesh or their tweets, and it has already been a week and Twitter […]

41. Andrew Fuchs says:

Old blog post, the problem was since solved but has reappeared:

42. Amer Kawar says:

Huh. So it's not the first occurrence and it's been more than 2 weeks without a solution yet! It makes me wonder where does the millions of dollars investors pay go!

43. TripleM says:

I was THIS close of achieving 13K tweets that's when I lost lost about 2K of my updates last week. :)

44. akosnitzky says:

I had approximately 4500 updates and and now have only 234

45. […] I notched up a rather healthy 5500+ tweets………and then Twitter got the squits. Thoughtpick has some good coverage on what’s […]

46. livelikeian says:

Dropped some 5k tweets. Can I has them backz?

47. Went from over 6K to under 200. Twitter says that they should have been back by 8/25 (http://help.twitter.com/forums/31935/entries/50417), well, it's 8/27 and my count is still sub 200.

There is also no way to add to the 93 pages of comments on the twitter support blog entry for this issue.

48. W3ll4 says:

I had opposite effect! I deleted a whole load of mine and then I was given them back!! Take em back!! Please! ='(

49. dane says:

i want my tweets back or i wil do like miley and close my account!!!!!!

Latest pingbacks

©2010 thoughtpick, copyrights reserved.