If you’re reading this checklist in the first place, the answer to that question is probably a yes. But don’t let us judge you too fast. To be a hundred percent sure though, read these 20 signs that mean you’re addicted to social media and check those you agree with.
Which of these statements apply to you?
1. You check your Facebook account before you check your email in the morning.
2. You are constantly updated with your distant friends’ lives in Canada, South Africa, and France but you don’t even know your neighbors.
3. You agree that people with no Twitter accounts are like, seriously, not people.
4. On the other hand, you wholeheartedly believe people who have not even heard of Twitter should probably kill themselves. Now.
5. You make plans with your friends on Facebook. In other words, your social media sites are basically your phone.
6. You met your boyfriend/husband/best friend through your blog/Facebook/etc. (I met mine through my blog!)
7. If you had to choose between World War Three or a bug that will wipe out the Internet, you’d choose the former without hesitation (don’t feel too bad about that).
8. You know what the hell I’m talking about when I say: “Where the Hell is Matt?”
9. Sometimes, it’s sad but true, you only go out to certain events because they’re something to blog about.
10. Half of your friends know you only by your username.
11. Trending Topics and Facebook status updates are your only source for news.
12. You endlessly stalk your ex-lovers through their social media profiles. Heck, five years ago, you would have been totally over them.
13. You’ve been to a meet-up, a tweet-up, or any other [insert-social-media-site-here]-up.
14. You’re friends are always warning you to not publish those pictures on Facebook, not blog about this incident, and not tweet about their idiocy. Shit, did I just blog about that?
15. You agree that the Fail-Whale is one of the cutest things ever.
16. You tweet when you’re stuck in traffic, waiting in line, or stuck at a really boring meeting.
17. You bought a phone with Wi-fi because it’s a great “social phone” (AKA it makes it easier to check Facebook, Twitter, and new comments on your blog).
18. Admit it, you have tried to guess your neighbor’s password when your connection is down to “borrow” the internet.
19. A bookmark is something on Delicious, Digg, or Reddit.
20. You are well-versed when it comes to speaking in under 140-characters.
How many of these statements do you agree with?
1 – 6 – Dude, you’re under-addicted to social media. GET AN ACCOUNT ON TWITTER. It’s easy, I swear. Just click this link to get a Twitter account.
7 – 13 – Wow, you’re BALANCED, with just the right amount of addiction and real-life. It must feel nice.
14 – 20 – Honey, we hate to break this to you, but your condition is as bad as ours. YOU ARE READY FOR A SOCIAL MEDIA DETOX! Since we are the coolest people on the planet, not only do we help you overcome your denial, but we also give you an awesome guide to getting rid of your social media addiction. It’s not easy, we know. But follow these 10 tips and get back to life… You can thank us later.
So, tell us what you scored! :) I scored around 18. Do you have any other symptoms that we’ll have in our next social media addiction checklist?