We heard it from Mashable that Target’s latest Valentine – Super Bowl campaign was preparing to kick off. So we followed up…
The Idea & Objectives:
If you go to Target’s Facebook page and click on the Super Love Sender tab, you are able to begin the process of sending a “JibJab-like, NFL- and Valentine-themed” greeting card.
Before you start creating the card, you can choose from one of five charities that you think should get the most money.
The charities Target is supporting are:
- Kids in Need Foundation
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- The Salvation Army
- United Through Reading Military Program
- United Way
“The cards themselves are pretty funny. They aren’t quite as interactive as something like Elf Yourself, but they are a cute, funny way to send a greeting, while also voicing how you think Target should allocate its funds“.
As it seems, Target were able to really hit it off with this amazingly unique, fun and charitable campaign! Right below the main page of the Super Love Sender application, there are about 1,700 posts comments on the idea of this campaign and even praising it, listing their favorite choice of charity to support on some occasions.
Furthermore, and as you could see in the image above, Target was able to fairly allocate its funds to support the different charities they had listed, therefore they were able to fulfill the campaign’s main purpose.
I might be very biased towards this campaign due to the fact that it really covers corporate social responsibility in a very interactive and community built approach. Nevertheless, the truth of the matter remains that Target did things right and this is what we can learn from them:
- Charity-related campaigns usually have more potential for success than others, if, and only if, they can demonstrate sincerity.
- Combining fun with the emotional appeal can have a very great impact on your target audience.
- Simple, straight to the point Facebook applications attract more people to participate.
- Sometimes, all you need is just one suitable social media channel to achieve your campaign objectives.
Finally, what do you think of the Target’s campaign? How would you rate it? And would you have participated if you had heard about it?
Let us hear your feedback down blow…