Get Informed. Get Involved. Give a Damn!
Idea & Objectives:
The only way we can truly achieve equality for all is if we all get informed and get involved. In other words, the only way to make a change is to give a damn – and that is how this campaign came to play.
The “Give a Damn” Campaign is a project of the True Colors Fund, founded by Cyndi Lauper. The True Colors Fund works to inspire and engage everyone, especially the straight community, to get involved in the advancement of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality.
As an advocate for more than 25 years, Cyndi has worked to bring her straight peers on board in support of equality. As she says, “If one of us is not equal, none of us are.”
Since its launch this year, this campaign has generated a considerably high amount of buzz, especially when taking into account the nature and controversy of the topics it supports.
Here are the figures from its main social media channels:
Twitter: 5,300+ followers
Facebook fan page: 43,000+ fans
Opinion & Lessons Learned:
Nothing in life is black or white – I think this campaign is a true example of that. In general, the idea of achieving equality is a very broad term and one which requires society to be tolerant with certain sensitive issues and really look outside the taboos and norms that engulf it.
Based on this, I think this campaign is doing well so far and I believe it will keep doing so if they keep engaging their audience, presenting them with sincere messages, allowing them to talk freely and showing them that there is a chance for change.
The lessons learned from this campaign can be summarized in the following points:
- People are definitely becoming more open to change and different cultures, thoughts and ideas. Always remember to use this to your advantage when designing your social media campaign.
- Videos and images really help take your message to a different level – they make it more personal and easier for your audience to relate to.
- Sharing information about your partners, goals, objectives and future plans can really help build and promote your credibility, which will in turn increase interest in your campaign and the support for it.
- A unique campaign name is a driving force to catching the attention of your target audience. From there on, it’s what you do to keep them that counts.
- A more universal cause behind your campaign will not guarantee the success you are aiming for. The trick is to be able to reach the society you are targeting, even if it was a niche.
Finally, I wonder: Have you heard about this campaign or participated in it on some level or another? Do you like it? Do you think it has the power to change the society’s way of thinking?
Looking forward to hearing your feedback down below…